Aaahhhh, those words that can bring grown men and women to their knees groaning in agony – “Time for your annual refresher training”.
But when should you do refresher training? Here is a list of 5 times that you should.
- When a process has changed. It is still the same process but steps have been added or taken away or steps have changed.
- When conditions have changed. This includes the layout of the work area, location of emergency exits or first aid kits.
- When equipment has changed (ie. the steering is now gear stick instead of a steering wheel).
- When there are new policies or procedures that the person being trained needs to know (not just when there is a new policy or procedure).
- When the person has been away from the job for an extended period of time.
Note that none of these reasons for refresher training include “Because you need to have refresher training annually”. Just my thoughts.